ALPGRIDS - Increase the uptake of RES in the Alps through microgrid solutions
Creating a transnational enabling environment to foster microgrid solutions
The ALPGRIDS project aimed at creating an enabling environment for the uptake of renewable energies and the creation of low-carbon energy communities in Alpine territories through the deployment of microgrids.
ALPGRIDS targeted especially local authorities and energy communities, whose legislative framework has recently been introduced into European law. Energy operators, national and regional public authorities were also aimed at.
AURA-EE as the leader
Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Energie-Environnement (AURA-EE) has been the lead partner of the ALPGRIDS project. Ten other European organisations were involved, from 4 other countries in the Alpine region (Austria, Germany, Italy, Slovenia).
The project focused on creating a transnational enabling environment to foster microgrid solutions, supporting in particular the creation of local energy communities.
The overarching objective was :
- Developing a common understanding of microgrids and their benefits
- Creating an enabling policy environment for microgrids
- Replicating the microgrid model in the Alpine Space and beyond
Improving the resilience of mountain territories
ALGRIDS aimed at improving the resilience of mountain territories (potentially subject to frequent power cuts) and the control of energy expenditure through local energy supply.
To achieve its goals, the project has built on 7 existing pilot sites in 5 countries. Thank to the work carried out in the pitlots, along with the transnational exchanges with local energy stakeholders and policy makers that occured during the project, project partners were able to develop :
- an Alpine microgrid model for energy communities and project developers
- a policy package for national, regional and local policy makers for instance to improve their energy and climate plans
- a replication programme involving organisations outside the consortium in relation with EU Strategy for the Alpine Region (EUSALP) Action Group 9 on energy.
ERROR: Content Element with uid "6956" and type "dce_dceuid55" has no rendering definition!
[Updated : January 2023]