AMETHYST - A multipurpose and tran sectorial hydrogen support for decarbonized alpine territories
AMETHyST aims to support the deployment of local Alpine green hydrogen ecosystems to pave the way for a post-carbon lifestyle in the Alps.
In view of the current energy crisis, it is now more important than ever to strengthen the development of renewable energies in the Alps. Hydrogen has many advantages to become a key player in the energy transition: easily produced with renewable electricity, it can be used for many purposes, such as mobility, industry or exploitation in tourist areas. AMETHyST aims to support the deployment of local Alpine green hydrogen ecosystems to pave the way for a post-carbon lifestyle in the Alps. The project partners will reinforce the role of public authorities by increasing their capacity, designing support services to roll out green hydrogen solutions and including green hydrogen in local and regional energy strategies and plans.
Local actors, local authorities and project leaders need to be supported in order to face the challenges of this new energy vector, which implies creating specific infrastructures and multiplying the uses of hydrogen. The aim of this project is therefore to:
- Improve information and knowledge on hydrogen solutions
- Develop support services for local actors in the design and implementation of their hydrogen project
- To experiment with "green hydrogen" solutions in priority in Alpine tourist areas, in conjunction with TENERRDIS
- Promote the exchange of experiences concerning green hydrogen solutions between Alpine territories
- Facilitate the coherence of support policies at Alpine, national and regional levels for the deployment of an Alpine green hydrogen ecosystem
A common Alpine culture around hydrogen issues must be built so that projects can emerge, allowing the creation of Alpine hydrogen valleys that can, in the long run, connect and allow transnational European heavy hydrogen mobility.
[Updated : January 2023]