BAPAURA - Building energy retrofitting assistance by public authorities in Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes
Scaling up the energy refurbishment of public buildings in small and mid-size local authorities
National and European energy savings in the building sector at small and mid-sized municipalities are not being met, hence the need to focus on this weak point. BAPAURA aims at facilitating the refurbishment of public buildings in small and mid-size municipalities which often overlook the energy efficiency portion of their works as a result of the proportionally high costs of setting-up such projects. Currently, small and mid-size municipalities in the region face significant challenges when meeting their energy savings goals due to the lack of technical and legal expertise hindering the use of advanced contracting schemes. Further challenges include scattered grants and lack of financial engineering at municipal level.
What are the objectives ?
• Supporting Energy Efficiency (EE) investment in 115 public buildings triggering a total of EUR 23.6 million investment
• Developping advanced and centralized energy services dedicated to small and mid-size municipalities focusing on project development assistance (legal, technical and financial).
• Providing these services at department level through 9 existing local energy support structures that will introduce “one-stop shop” services.
• Mobilizing service providers, SME’s and financial institutions at local level.
• Introducing innovative financing by optimizing the investment plan of municipalities, reviewing all financing options, adapting grants, harmonizing subsidy request applications and mobilizing white certificates.
• Replicating the project result at regional and national levels thanks to the toolkit produced along the project lifetime.
AURA-EE the regional energy agency has a sound experience in working closely with local public authorities on energy efficiency investment projects. It is also experienced in introducing innovative instruments which support the financing of energy efficiency projects such as Energy Performance Contracts, Energy Savings Certificates, Energy Saving Guaranty. As founding member of FEDARENE, AURA-EE will coordinate its efforts with this EU network to ensure that the project results are disseminated at EU level.
In addition, the agency will provide regional support :
- in implementing the one-stop shops,
- in developing the support tools,
- in facilitating the mobilization of and dialogue between regional and local stakeholders,
- in supporting the replication process in France and in Europe.
A 100% Auvergne Rhône-Alpes region consortium
BAPAURA consortium is composed of organizations that are involved in energy investment planning at regional and local levels in the Auvergne Rhône-Alpes region. Thus the consortium comprises of local public authorities, energy agencies and local public companies involved in energy efficiency projects.
2 regional partners to coordinate and to provide regional support
9 local project partners working at local level on energy investment planning